Nothing could compare to the taste of fresh herbs in your recipes. You might be lucky enough
to have an herb garden, but what if you don’t have enough room for a garden outside?
Thankfully many herbs could grow easily in small areas, such as kitchen window sills. The plants need sunlight and water, so if you’ve noticed that your kitchen doesn’t have enough natural sunlight during the day, you could put them in another room. But remember. it would take about three times the amount of fresh herbs to get the flavor of it dried, but the taste is way better.
When looking for herbs to grow inside of your home make sure to get a plant that will stay small. If they grow to wide or tall it may not fit in the area you want them to grow in. You should also think about the type of cooking you do the most, or what dried herbs you use the most. You don’t want to grow herbs that you won’t use. Below are five great herbs that you could grow in your kitchen window or anywhere else in your house that has enough natural
- Chives – This herb tastes like garlic and onions. It could be added to things like, homemade salad dressing, sour cream, soups or burgers. You could substitute chives for onions in some recipes if you want to give your food different taste. This herb is very easy to grow from the seed. Your dishes will have unique tastes, whether you use fresh or dried herbs.
- Basil – This herb is used in many ethnic foods such as dishes from Italy, Mexico or Thailand. If you’re cooking with tomatoes, basil would be a natural herb to choose. You could either buy a seed or already grown.
- Cilantro or Coriander – This herb could also be grown from seeds easily. You could use the leaves or let the herb to go to seed, either way you can use cilantro in Mexican or Indian dishes.
- Mint – This herb is a universal, it is used in a bunch of different cuisines. If you live in the South you might know it could be added to iced tea. You could also use this herb as an ingredient in salads, jellies and desserts. You could use start it as seeds or seedlings.
- Thyme – This herb is often used when cooking meats and/or any other savory dishes.
You should start with seedlings so you could use these herbs as soon as possible. You could buy seeds and seedlings of the herbs above as many stores, farmer’s co-ops, and farmers markets. If you grow your herbs from seeds then follow the instructions on the packet. Soon you’ll have fresh herbs to harvest and enjoy in all your home cooked meals!
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.