Last year I brought up healthy ways to prepare spring produce and asparagus is at the top of my family’s list for spring vegetables.
This year I’m excited because we are hopping over the mountains and will pick up cases of asparagus for recipes. This is how I grew up. It’s just sad that it took my in-laws moving away to get that same fun benefit for the freshest veggies 🙁 Yes, I’m one of those oddballs that loves her in-laws. lol
This recipe is perfect. Asparagus AND avocado! I love both and cilantro is my favorite fresh herb. If you are like me and can’t have dairy, then just substitute non-dairy sour cream for the yogurt. I haven’t been able to find a non-dairy plain yogurt yet but it may be out there. lol
- 20 to 24 spears fresh asparagus
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and peel removed
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 1 garlic clove, minced or grated
- dash salt
- 1½ cups cooked brown or long-grain white rice
- 3 Tbsp plain yogurt
- 3 (10 inch size) tortillas
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 Tbsp chopped sweet onion
- Clean asparagus by snapping off the woody ends and washing.
- Put whole asparagus in a steamer basket in 3 inches of water in large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Take the basket with asparagus out and immediately drop in ice water or run under very cold water; then dump onto rack to fully drain.
- In a small glass bowl, put avocado, lime zest and juice, garlic, and salt and smash with a fork until well combined into a paste.
- In a separate bowl, put the cooked rice and yogurt and mix together well.
- To put together, start by heating the tortillas in a large dry skillet, about 10 to 15 seconds both sides.
- As tortillas are heated, lay each on a plate, and spread mixtures over the center of each tortilla in this order: avocado, rice, cilantro, onion.
- Fold the bottom up, then roll the tortilla closed lengthwise.
- Serve immediately or if desired, refrigerate until needed. You can also wrap tightly with aluminum foil, put them in a ziplock baggie and freeze. Just be sure to cover in plastic wrap and bring back to room temperature before serving.
- Cut each bundle in half to serve.
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.