I have become obsessed with zucchini. Next year I’m definitely going to get my plants in sooner so I have an over abundance. This year was too late and I’ve only gotten 3 or 4 out of them. But they are still inexpensive to buy in the fall.
This is one dish meal and you know what that means? Less dishes to clean!
You can whip this recipe up quickly in the evening or make it the night before and just reheat. Quite a few options for pre-making since rice keeps and freezes well.
- 8 chicken drumsticks or thighs (1¼ lb), skin removed
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 package (6 oz) long-grain and wild rice mix
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1 inch slices
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 425 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking pan.
- Put a large skillet over medium-high heat; when hot add chicken, cook about 3 minutes, turn and cook 3 more minutes, or until chicken is browned slightly. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Put rice, contents of seasoning packet, squash, zucchini and bell pepper in baking pan.
- Turn heat on under skillet, add water and bring to boiling, then pour the hot water over rice and veggies in baking pan and stir to mix.
- Add the cheese and stir, then arrange the chicken on top of the rice mixture.
- Cover pan with foil and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until rice absorbs the liquid and is tender and chicken is no longer pink at all.
- Remove and let sit for 3 minutes, then take off foil and serve hot.
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.