If you want to go low fat, just switch out the cream cheese for non-fat neufatel cheese and low fat shredded cheddar. Non-dairy may be a little trickier depending on where you live. I get a non-dairy cream cheese from my local grocery store and almond cheese tends to melt the best. I’m lucky that I can get the almond cheese in many flavor combos. I’m a fan of jalepeno cheddar with this recipe 😉 It’s already a low carb recipe.
We all know I love a recipe that can be made ahead. While I wouldn’t freeze this recipe, you can easily mix it all together the day before and bake it right before the party.
Keeping this recipe low carb depends on what you serve it with. Choose celery sticks and cucumber slices if you are looking to keep it as low as possible. If that’s not a worry then this recipe is amazing with toasted baguette slices, pretzels and warm sourdough bread.
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 2 tsp finely diced onion
- 1 tsp horseradish (more or less to taste)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 ounces crabmeat
- 1/4 cup of your favorite, freshly grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a bowl, whip milk, cream cheese, onion, horseradish, and salt and pepper.
- Carefully fold in the crabmeat, trying not to break up the pieces too much. The chunkier the better.
- Turn mixture out into a small baking dish, then evenly distribute the grated cheese on top.
- Bake, uncovered, in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until mixture is bubbling hot and starting to brown slightly.
Image credit: Food & Spirits Magazine
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.