Now this is more like it. I love showing how easy it is to move beyond using packaged meals. I don’t care what the packages say, the portions are unreasonable for an adult to actual feel full. I’m sure that is due to the preservatives and huge amount of sodium in the packages.
The ingredients to make the same thing that tastes even better don’t include a single preservative. When you are making it from scratch you can also adapt the seasonings to your liking. Prefer something spicier? Then add more chili powder. Lower the fat with how lean your ground beef is or even go with ground chicken or turkey. Consider how much cheese you add if you want to lower the fat in the dish.
Hamburger helper in the box looks cheap on the shelf until you price out how inexpensive it is from scratch. When you have almost all the ingredients in your pantry already, it just doesn’t get more affordable and healthy on top of it.
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 ½ C. uncooked macaroni
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 2 C. tomato juice
- 1 medium onion, diced fine
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. dried oregano, crumbled
- ¼ tsp. chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 ½ C. grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add macaroni and quickly stir to coat.
- Add beef and cook until brown, about 10 minutes.
- Pour off any drippings.
- Stir in tomato juice and bring to a boil.
- Mix in onion, garlic powder, oregano, and chili powder. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Cover tightly.
- Bake until macaroni is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Top with cheese and bake uncovered until cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.