If so, you are very different from my house. In our test to can new things we use often, tomato products are way up there on the list. I’m looking forward to trying the homemade tomato paste in some of our favorite recipes this winter.
While cooking the tomato paste you will want to check the thickness. To do so, place a spoonful of the paste in the middle of a plate. After 1 minute check to see if water is seeping out around the paste. If there is water cook for an additional 30 minutes then recheck.
If you have an over abundance of tomatoes this is a great way to use them up. This tomato paste can be used in sauces, soups or even as a pizza sauce. Add your seasoning to the paste just before you are ready to use it to give a rich flavor. I know we are excited to make some homemade pizza’s and give it a try!
- 16 lbs. of plum tomatoes, cubed
- 3 C of sweet bell pepper, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp salt
- 3 garlic cloves
- Bottled lemon juice
- Place all the ingredients except the lemon juice into a 6 qt. pot.
- Place the pot over medium heat and slowly cook for 1 hour, stirring often.
- Remove the bay leaves and press the mixture through a sieve.
- Place the mixture back into the pot and cook over medium low heat for 3 hours, stirring often.
- Prepare the canning jars and caps according the manufacturer’s directions.
- Pour the hot tomato paste into the jars and leave a ¼ inch headspace.
- Add ½ tbsp of the lemon juice to each jar and release the air bubbles.
- Add more of the tomato mixture if necessary to maintain the correct headspace.
- Wipe the rims of the jars and tighten the lids on by hand.
- Place in a water bath canner and process for 30 minutes from the point of boiling.
- Remove the jars carefully and allow them to cool in a draft free area.
- Check the seals and place any jars that did not seal correctly in the refrigerator and use within 2 weeks.
- Makes 16 half pints
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.