This is a very different idea for the leftovers. It’s sure to change up the flavors enough that you won’t be thinking of how tired of leftovers you are. This soup is extra thick and cheesy with the potatoes and cream cheese. Use some of your leftover rolls for dipping and you have an amazing and easy dinner.
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 cup cauliflower pieces
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, warmed to room temperature, and cut into small pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- In your food processor, put the onion, carrot, celery, and cauliflower and pulse until fine. You can use either cooked leftovers or raw.
- Put this mixture into a large soup pot, add the olive oil, and put over medium heat, stirring to saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth to the soup pot, turn heat up and bring mixture to a boil, immediately turning heat down to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Keep heat low, and slowly add in the potatoes and milk, and stir until well combined; simmer slowly for 5 minutes.
- Keep heat low, and stir in the Cheddar cheese and cream cheese, stirring constantly while heating until the cheeses are completely melted and soup is hot - but do NOT boil. Be patient, this should take a few minutes to do correctly.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as desired.
- Remove from heat, cover and let sit for five minutes.
- Serve in soup bowls with a pat of butter on top, a sprinkling of more Cheddar cheese, or a few chives.
Photo courtesy nkzs
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.