We’re trying to go through the beef in the freezer so I am mixing it up with the recipes. This recipe will freeze well believe it or not. Just cook the vegetables about half way. Then you can fry them back up after you thawing and they won’t get mushy.
I have a big, castiron skillet so I was trying to make these as I’ve seen them grill them up on tv or at the mall. It worked pretty well and everyone got their sandwich hot and fresh off the stove.
- 1.5-2lbs cubed steak or inexpensive steak pounded out, cut into thin strips
- 2 medium green peppers, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 8 slices of provolone cheese
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- black pepper to taste
- 4 large hoagie rolls or hard rolls, split but not all the way through
- Heat large skillet on medium high. Add olive oil and heat oil.
- Add vegetables and saute but make sure they stay slightly firm. You don't want them mushy.
- Set vegetables aside on plate or in a bowl.
- Add meat to skillet. Sprinkle seasonings over the meat. Cook until meat is just barely pink.
- Now for me, I moved the meat all over to one side of the skillet so I could put each sandwich together separately, but you may need to put the meat on a plate of it's own.
- Put 1/4 of the meat into the skillet somewhat in the shape of your rolls. Add desired amount of vegetables on top of the meat and layer two slices of cheese on top.
- Wait for cheese to melt, about 3 minutes.
- Open up sliced roll and scoop meat mixture into the roll. I use a big spatula so I can try to get it fully in one scoop and lay it gently in the roll.
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.