This recipe is vegetarian but you could use a sausage meat sauce if you would like. Or serve it with chicken parmesan and crusty french bread and you have all the food groups covered.
- 2 small eggplants, sliced in thin lengthwise strips
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 pound tomatoes, sliced thin
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp dry basil
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- salt and fresh black pepper, to taste
- cooking oil spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Season eggplant slices with salt and pepper. Arrange slices evenly in a nonstick baking pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- Spray a glass baking dish with cooking spray and arrange eggplant slices evenly on the bottom.
- Pour half of the tomato sauce over the eggplant, then top with a few tomato slices.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, basil, and Italian seasoning over this mixture, then spread a little of the ricotta cheese over the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle some mozzarella on top.
- Repeat in layers, topping with mozzarella as a final step.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then place under a broiler just until cheese turns golden brown.
- Slice lasagna evenly and garnish with Italian seasoning.
Photo credit: NathanF
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.