This ended up being the main recipe I used for my chicken for my weekly cooking challenge.
I found this pretty quickly when I was looking for shredded chicken recipes. Once I saw the ingredients were few I knew it was a perfect recipe for me. Especially, for a summer time meal. It’s going to be nice and light. Warming it up won’t heat up the house later.
As we know by now I can’t stick with a recipe as it comes to me so I put a few little things into it of my own. I combined this recipe right in the freezer bags so clean up was a breeze. As always, don’t forget to mark your bags with the meal title and date.
One of the biggest thing I changed was I made it more like arroz con pollo. It was originally served over rice but I’d prefer to save time and just cook it with the rice.
I’m also going to serve this with a small portion of tortilla chips and a side of sauteed peppers. Maybe a black bean salsa.
- ¼ cup sliced onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (7 ounce) can green salsa
- 1 clove diced garlic
- 2 cups cooked, cubed or shredded chicken meat
- 2 cups chicken broth
- (for reheating)1 cup uncooked rice
- Saute onions until just barely translucent.
- In a quart size freezer bag, combine all the ingredients.
- ON COOK DAY
- Thaw meal for 24 hours.
- Bring meal to a boil and add uncooked rice.
- Turn down to simmer and cook for approx. 20 min or until rice is tender.