I went to a retreat and we had an amazing catered meal the first evening. One of my favorite dishes was a chickpea salad. I loved it so much that I came home after that weekend and tried to recreate it for the family. I came quite close to recreating it.
There are a couple of things I love about this recipe. For one, it’s super easy to make. Second, there is no cooking involved so the kitchen is going to stay nice and cool.
Then there is the fact that this recipe is a great base to create even more salads from. Change the seasonings a little and add a couple other ingredients and you have a whole new set of flavors to pair with grilled meats.
I leave it to the individual to salt this if they want. Depending on the canned beans used there can already be a lot of sodium. This is a very easy salad and goes perfect with grilled chicken.
- 2 cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ small onion, diced
- ½ cucumber, diced fine
- 2 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced fine
- small handfull of cilantro, chopped
- 4 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced, I use the prepared garlic and just put a heaping spoonful in lol
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Add these ingredients to a large bowl and toss gently.
- Refridgerate for about 30 minutes so everything is chilled.
- Toss again gently before serving.
- This salad has to be tossed periodically because there isn't any oil in it so the marinade will settle to the bottom.
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.