It’s day one of the Cook Easy Foodie Blogger Challenge. I’d love for you to join us. Just post your favorite slow cooker recipe on your blog and put a link with your comment below. Then we can all go check out what you love to cook. We have 30 days of foodie blog topics planned and I’m looking forward to reading your posts.
This recipe makes a lot. Like 3 dinners for 4 adults and still leftovers each night for a couple of lunches. That’s why it’s my favorite slow cooker recipe. I try to always have a bag in the freezer ready to defrost.
Of course you can substitute ground beef and regular sausage into the recipe but I have to watch the fat and cholesterol in my diet for various health reasons. The family barely noticed when I switched it up to turkey products because there are so many big flavors already in the sauce.
You can use a sweet or hot Italian sausage depending on your families tastes. This recipe is really meaty. I love to thaw a bag of it and then toss it with penne pasta. Throw it in the oven with some cheese on top to melt and it’s like you slaved all day. Tonight I’m making chicken parmigiana so I’ll be using even less of the sauce and freezing more. Or that’s the hope, we’ll see how much the kids eat tonight. lol
Of course you know I am serving this with my favorite crusty french bread. I love scooping up the extra sauce with the crusty bread.
- 1.25lbs ground turkey
- 1.25lbs or 5 turkey italian sausages (hot or sweet), cut into ½ inch chunks
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 oz each) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (28oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (12oz) tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- hot cooked pasta
- parmesan cheese
- Turn slow cooker onto high and add meat. Cover and brown for about an hour. If you are pressed for time, I generally brown the meat in a frying pan first.
- Stir meat so the ground turkey breaks into smaller chunks.
- Add onion, green pepper and garlic. Cover and let cook for about 30 minutes.
- Stir tomato products and spices in to slow cooker.
- Turn heat to low, and let cook for 6 to 9 hours.
- Serve over hot cooked spaghetti noodles with Parmesan cheese on top.
If you don’t mind please hit retweet, like and g+ on this post. I will do the same when visiting your post.
I haven’t portioned this out for the freezer yet but I calculated it cost me $11.43 to make the big pot. I didn’t buy anything on sale so this could be even more affordable. It ended up being only my son and I for dinner so we didn’t use very much for our two servings, even with his two HUGE bowls of spaghetti and giant chicken parmigiana.
Stay tuned tomorrow for soup ideas.
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.