We eat a lot of chicken and it’s easy to get in a rut. While I’ve been remembering to make chicken salad like we used to make at my parents cafe, I was getting into a rut. This recipe changes things up nicely.
A little bit of savory and a lot of sweet. Perfect to eat with big bowl of greens. Make the dressing with light or non-fat mayo and your recipe just got even healthier and low cal if you need it to be.
- 2 oranges, zested and juiced
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp coarse ground mustard
- 1 to 2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 small garlic clove, grated
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach leaves or mixed greens
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 medium apples, ripe but crispy, washed, cored, and diced
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 3/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- Into a glass bowl, measure 2 teaspoons orange zest, then add the mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, salt, black pepper, and garlic, and whisk until combined.
- Keep whisking and slowly drizzle in 1/2 cup of the orange juice, whisking until dressing is smooth and comes together.
- To assemble salads, place spinach or greens in a large salad bowl.
- Add all the remaining salad ingredients, then drizzle dressing over the salad and toss gently to coat all the ingredients.
- Serve immediately.
- Will serve 4 as a main dish, or 6 as a light lunch.
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.