I think I’m the only one in America that didn’t grow up having creamed spinach on their holiday table. In fact, I’ve never had it still. Sadly, I won’t be able to have it as I can’t have the dairy but that doesn’t mean I’m not adding it to our Christmas meal with friends.
This recipe sounds amazing and I can’t wait to make it. Super easy to make and a no-fail type of recipe.
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 small onion, diced fine
- 2 green onions, diced fine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 20 oz frozen leaf spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
- Put the butter in a skillet over medium heat and melt.
- Add all onions and cook until soft, about 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the broth, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and heat for 1 minute, stirring.
- Slowly pour in cream, stirring constantly and bring just to a boil.
- Immediately turn heat to low and simmer until liquid reduces, for about 8 to 12 minutes. This creamy sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon and stay there.
- When sauce is thickened, add the spinach, stirring to combine, and continue simmering over low heat until the spinach is hot.
- Serve immediately.
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.