Not only is this a great make ahead breakfast, it’s also quite affordable. Instead of using expensive breakfast meat it is made with ground beef or you could use ground turkey. The liquid smoke flavor creates a very unique recipe.
- ½ cup milk
- 10 eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon dried hot pepper
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 large potatoes, sliced thin
- 1½ cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- In a medium bowl, combine the milk and eggs. Set aside.
- Sauté the onions in butter until they turn slightly translucent, then add the ground beef with the garlic and dried hot pepper, cooking until ground beef is no longer pink.
- Season meat mixture with salt, pepper, cumin and liquid smoke.
- In a separate skillet, add olive oil and sauté the potatoes to slightly soften them.
- Butter a 3½ quart crock pot.
- Layer ⅓ of the potatoes, ½ of the beef, ½ of the onion, and ⅓ of the cheese. Continue layering until ingredients are gone, making sure that the top layer is potatoes. Pour the egg mixture over the top and sprinkle cheese over egg mixture.
- Cook for 8-10 hours on LOW.
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.