By Ann Matrin
When preparing for a special event, or just having a relaxing Sunday dinner with the family, making sure your table looks its best is a must. Flatware, glasses and plates are a staple on any set table, but by adding some extras to your table truly make it a dining experience and add that special touch to that everyday meal. One way to dress up any table is by adding centerpieces or unique table accessories. Here are a few fabulous, yet frugal table dressing ideas that which turn everyday objects into beautiful displays for your table.
- Glass Mason Jars – These are extremely versatile and can be filled with almost anything. Tyr placing either votives or tealight candles in for an instant candle holder. Not only does the candlelight make any table look stunning, but the simplicity of the jar adds that unusual touch. Try using the glass mason jars as vases. Insert a piece of foam at the bottom of the jar, insert your flowers stems into the foam and fill with glass beads or even grass to make for a beautiful spring centerpiece for your table.
- Fruit – Most of us do have fresh fruit in the house, and why just have it hidden away on the counter? Find a simple or even a more elegant bowl and place your fruit in it for a quick and easy table centerpiece. If you have a lot of one type of fruit, for example clementines, go ahead and fill a glass hurricane up with them and watch that ordinary glass hurricane become an extraordinary table dressing. This idea can be used with small pumpkins and gourds as well for a stunning fall tablescape. Just line the pumpkins and various colored gourds straight down your table to make for an impressive, yet simple display.
- Candy – Not only would candy make for an edible centerpiece, but just think about how many colors candy comes in. Fill a clear vase or small votive holders with silver wrapped Hershey kisses, or peppermint candies if it is around the holiday season. If looking to dress your table for spring, try using jelly beans instead or marshmallow chicks for a cute kid’s touch.
- Tablecloth – This is easy to over look, but a gorgeous and impressive way to make your table stand out. If you do not have a tablecloth, go to your local fabric store and see which fabrics may be discounted and make your own. It is actually quite easy and various colors, patterns and textures would certainly make your table look beautiful without spending a lot of money.
- Pictures – Go find those unused photo frames and choose some of your favorite pictures and place them in those frames. Go ahead a line your table with these photo frames for an instant and memorable display. Frames which work best for this idea, are typically 5 x 7, 4 x 6, or even those adorable miniature frames.
Ann Martin is a contributing writer for Dinnerware Center, which carries a large assortment of dinnerware, tableware and flatware sets, such as the Oneida Michelangelo and the Oneida Paul Revere. Ann writes for other entertaining and cooking websites. When Ann is not writing, she enjoys spending time with family and friends.
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.