We’ve been working real hard at switching our recipes to more natural and lower GI foods. This includes brown rice, quinoa and whole grain pastas. I personally am not a fan of oatmeal so I have to search out recipes I can include for more fiber for breakfast. This recipe is not your average choice for breakfast but I find it fits the bill nicely.
Another reason I love this recipe is no dairy 😉
Usually I will add soy protein to the water when it is warming up. I just add a couple tablespoons more of water and the recommended serving of vanilla or non-flavored soy protein powder. Whisk well so there is no clumping and then proceed with the recipe. Now you have a full meal. Your breakfast is ready to warm up in the morning while you are doing your quick routine.
- 1½ C brown rice, cooked
- 1 C soy milk
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 (15 oz) can fruit cocktail
- ¼ C water
- 2 T honey
- 1 t vanilla extract
- ½ t cinnamon
- ½ t nutmeg
- Place the water, honey and vanilla in a large saucepan over low heat.
- Add the bananas and fruit cocktail stirring well to cover with liquid.
- Stir in the cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and allow to cook 8 minutes or until very tender but not mushy.
- Stir in the rice.
- Pour in the soy milk and stir well.
- Return to a boil and cook 10 minutes.
- Best if served warm.
Photo credit: Creative Tools
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.