We’re coming down to the wire and it’s time to get your Thanksgiving dishes done up ahead of time if possible. I am doing all of my dishes tomorrow and then just putting them in the oven Thanksgiving afternoon. We’re heading to my Aunt’s house for brunch and then a nice quiet dinner with just the four of us.
It’ll be different just to have the four of us but I’m really looking forward to it. For one, the kids can eat to their hearts content. I’m only making our family favorites and making plenty of the items I know they want to indulge on. No worries that the rest of the family ate the last serving of stuffing, they’ll have plenty.
Our friends hosted a turkey dinner last week and they brined their turkey and then smoked it. It was amazing and my daughter said all other turkeys are now ruined because of it. lol I found this easy recipe for brine and will be surprising her with this more flavorful turkey on Thursday.
For some reason I had it in my head that it was a lot of work to brine a turkey. Definitely not the case as you can see. Improve the flavor of your turkey and get it in a brine tomorrow.
I’ve added the recipe below in a printable format.
- 2½ gallons water
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- ½ Tbsp parsley
- ½ Tbsp thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup kosher salt
- In an extra larger stock pot, add water and roughly chopped vegetables.
- Squeeze the citrus fruits as you add them to the pot.
- Add seasonings and salt.
- Bring mixture to boil on high heat, but don't let it simmer. Remove from heat as soon as it starts to boil.
- Remove all fruits, veggies and bay leaves.
- Place your turkey in the pot, ensuring there is enough room to cover the turkey. Soak overnight and then prepare turkey as usual.
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.