This recipe does some serious hiding of the veggie if you have a picky eater. But who can resist cream of mushroom soup and cheese? Not many lol You could also substitute cauliflower or broccoli in this recipe easily.
- 1 large head cabbage, shredded (about 12 cups)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 Tbsp butter, divided
- 1 can (10 oz size) cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 8 ounces process cheese (American style, or Velveeta), cubed
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup dry bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put cabbage in a large pot and fill about ¼ full with fresh water; put over medium high heat and bring to a boil, cooking until cabbage is just tender, then drain thoroughly.
- In a large skillet, add 5 tablespoons of the butter and the onions; cook over medium heat until onions are soft, then stir in the soup, add the cheese and stir until the cheese melts; remove from heat.
- Add the cooked cabbage, salt, and pepper, tossing to combine.
- Turn out into a large casserole dish.
- In a small pot or skillet, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and stir in the bread crumbs; sprinkle this mixture over the cabbage in casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 25 to 35 minutes or until top gets browned and casserole is hot all the way through.
Photo credit: LaGrande Farmers’ Market