Have you ever dealt with a live lobster? Oh my God they are dangerous and they take your flesh out if you pester with them. Lobsters are big and strong. You need to be cautious when you are handling one. So did you ever cook a live lobster? No? Lobster cooking is easy but it needs patience to cook an entire lobsters. Winter is approaching and a spicy lobster story would be fine. I am going to discuss some lobster cooking facts for a delightful dinner.
Boiling a lobster: well this is a sea creature and needs salt water to get boiled. This actually helps retain the true essence of it. Salted tap water is preferable if sea-water is not available. In order to add essence to the flesh, you may add wine herbs to enhance the flavor. Some of the preferred ingredients used for the flavor are discussed below:
- White wine
- Bay leaves
The same goes with shrimp. You get the taste of this royal sea creature when it is steamed. Sometimes foodies love to steam the flesh and cook it to make lobster sandwiches. Cooking live lobsters can be a painful sight; most people keep them inside the refrigerator so that it feels no pain when boiled. Now here comes the actual method. Let’s see how you do it:
- Take a boiling pot; this is most important.
- Pour the salty water inside the pot and immerse the lobster completely. See to it that the lobster is immersed fully. You may even add salt after immersing it.
- Now turn the knob to the highest boiling point.
- Remember to have the lobster immersed with its head drowned first.
- Now use the lid to cover the vessel and see to it that the boiling point is at its highest.
- Again boil it for another 10 minutes (the time varies with the size of the lobster).
Now how would you determine if the lobster is boiled or not? Here is how.
- Don’t remove it till the shell of the lobster has turned into a fiery red.
- If you find that the antennae of it come off on gently being pulled you’ll know that the lobster went through a rigorous boiling process.
- Note that the boiling of lobster is possible when the temperature reaches 180®.
- Greenish yellow color of the lobster’s liver indicates that this sea creature is boiled enough.
Unlike lobsters, cooking shrimps is easier; because they are small and easy to handle. You can try out some really good shrimp recipes at home.
Author-Bio: Mark has penned down some of the most interesting recipes of the world. He loves eating and is fond of writing recipes from across the world and mainly about lobster. He is globe trotter and loves staying this way.
Photo courtesy lumix2004
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.