Some get stressed over thinking about all of that cooking. Especially if you aren’t a fan of cooking to begin with. You may be freaking out thinking you will be in the kitchen for hours and it’s making you unhappy just thinking about it.
Why not make dishes ahead of time that you only have to reheat?
What about if you were making it semi-healthier at the same time?
Win, win right? lol
I made this recipe the night before with no issues. Macaroni makes me nervous if it sits in liquid too long so I didn’t try it any longer than that. If you push it and it works, please comment and let us know.
It’s amazing how substituting just a few ingredients and lower the calories and fat content in a recipe. Fat-free evaporated milk makes a big difference in many recipes now. No longer do you have to drop having some of your favorites, in fact you might be able to add them to the menu more often.
- 2 cups whole wheat macaroni
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups fat-free evaporated skim milk
- 1 egg, beaten with a fork
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 to 2 cups finely shredded low-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup finely crushed multi grain crackers
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced (can use dried)
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions, but keep slightly firm; drain and set aside.
- Put onions in a large saucepan with 1 tsp olive oil and cook over medium heat until onions soften and turn clear; remove from heat.
- Into this saucepan, add the milk, stirring until onion cools, then add the egg, mustard, black pepper, and cheese.
- Put the saucepan back on low and stir until cheese melts.
- Add the cooked macaroni to the saucepan and stir until combined.
- Pour mixture into a large bowl you can cover with lid or plastic wrap. Store in fridge.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Grease casserole dish.
- Take macaroni out of fridge and toss.
- Pour into casserole dish.
- Bake, uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the crushed crackers with olive oil and set aside.
- After the 20 minutes, remove the casserole and sprinkle the crushed crackers evenly over the top, return the casserole to oven and bake another 5 to 10 minutes until the crackers brown slightly.
- Sprinkle parsley on top and serve hot.
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.