As a busy momma, wife and business owner, I often don’t have time to bake a full course meal every night of the week. To solve this problem, I do a lot of once a week cooking on the weekends. One of my favorite meals to make for my family is meatloaf as it freezes well for future meals. The ingredients are also quite inexpensive.
This particular recipe can be easily doubled or tripled if you want to make a bulk amount. Following the recipe is complete instructions on how you can make and freeze individual portions which are great for workplace lunches and/or how to freeze family sized portions to use in the future. When meatloaf is properly frozen, it will keep for up to 6 months in the freezer.
Delicious Old-Fashioned Meatloaf Recipe
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 20 saltine crackers, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- salt and pepper to taste
- additional catsup for the top (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the eggs, the can of tomato soup, chopped onion, garlic powder, ketchup, salt and pepper. Mix in the lean ground beef and the crumbled saltine crackers. You will want to mix this with your hands until all of the ingredients are combined.
3. Place meatloaf mixture in a muffin pan (to make mini muffin cups which are great for workplace lunches), mini loaf pans or in a fullsize
loaf pan. If desired, squirt a little ketchup on the top to add flavoring.
4. If making the muffin shapes or mini loaves, bake for 35-45 minutes. If baking in a full-size loaf pan, bake for 55-60 minutes or until done. Once your meatloaf is done, let it cool completely.
Wrap each individual loaf in plastic wrap and then insert into a freezer storage bag. A one gallon freezer bag will hold 7 muffin cups, 4 mini loaves or 1 full size loaf. Label your bags along with a 6 month expiration date and place them into the freezer.
When you are ready to have them as a meal, thaw out in your refrigerator overnight or for 6-8 hours. Then reheat in your microwave or conventional oven for 15 minutes or until heated through.
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.