Did you ever have one of those days when your heart and soul just screams for something comforting but not too heavy? My Chicken & Gnocchi Soup is just what you need. The calendar says the middle of May BUT it was 70 on Thursday and today, just 3 short days later it has sleeted 3 times! GRRRRR … Really?!?!? Welcome to Lake Erie in May I guess.
Normally I would have shredded chicken in my freezer stash as well as everything else on hand I need to make this quick delicious soup but as luck would have it not this time. I will tell you though it was well worth the trip to the grocery store to pick up a rotisserie chicken, frozen gnocchi, celery (what … really! I don’t think I have ever run out of celery) and a zucchini to make this delightful bowl of deliciousness. This is great the next day too, but make sure that you store the cooked gnocchi separately from the soup mixture – nothing worse than soggy dumplings! In fact, anytime I think I may have soup left over I keep my pasta separate and add to each bowl. If there is one thing I cannot stand it is bloated, soggy noodles! Feel free to change up the veggies with whatever you have on hand, but part of what makes this so wonderful is the simplicity of it. Enjoy!
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- ¼ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 16 oz. package frozen potato gnocchi - DO NOT THAW!
- 1 Tbls. EVOO or canola oil
- 3-4 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 Tbls. butter
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced celery (1 rib)
- ½ cup diced carrot (1 medium)
- ½ cup diced zucchini (1/2 of one medium)
- 1 lemon
- 8-10 fresh sage leaves, chopped or 2 tsp dried sage
- pinch of freshly ground nutmeg (optional)
- 6 cups of chicken stock
- Grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Heat ¼ cup oil into large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add gnocchi and 1 or 2 cloves minced garlic and cook until gnocchi is nice and brown, stirring frequently. This should take 6-7 minutes.
- Add butter to skillet, stirring gently until butter melts and remove skillet from heat and set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbls. oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot, 2 minced garlic cloves and cook for 5-6 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften (stir often). Feel free to add a little salt and pepper at this point - it will help the veggies soften a little quicker and add flavor.
- Once the carrots and celery are almost tender, add the chopped zucchini, sage, chicken stock and shredded chicken.
- Bring just to a simmer, cover and cooks 5-6 minutes until vegetables are soft and chicken is heated through.
- Remove from heat and add the zest of ½ a lemon and a few grates of fresh nutmeg.
- Ladle soup into soup bowls, top with browned gnocchi and grate some fresh Parmesan cheese over the top.
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.