I love dressing and stuffing. I’m pretty sure if it wouldn’t put even more weight on me, I could live off nothing but dressing. Goes hand in hand with my bread addiction lol
Not only can you make this recipe up ahead of time, but you can freeze this one and bake it later. SCORE!
When I first had a dressing with cranberries in it I was skeptical. I like cranberries. But, this was messing with a traditional recipe I love dearly. It was really good.
Now that I can’t have traditional gravy, you know the good stuff made with the fat from whatever meat you are cooking, I’m really into adding things to the dressing mix. Or is it because I’m getting old? Both? Pick whatever you want, I’m ok with it.
- 2 medium size loaves multi grain bread, day-old preferred1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced small
- 3 celery stalks, diced small
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup fresh sage, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup dried cranberries, chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Trim the crusts off the bread if you wish, then cut into 1 inch cubes and place in a large bowl; set aside.
- Put the olive oil in a large heavy skillet on medium heat.
- Stir in the onion and celery and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly softened.
- Add the walnuts and stir for another minute or until walnuts are fragrant.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the sage.
- Pour the mixture into the bowl with the bread cubes and toss to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the chicken broth and the egg until well combined.
- Add to the bread and toss until the bread is moistened. Now stir in the cranberries and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the mixture in a freezer bag and seal. Freeze for 4-6 weeks. If you put it in a vacuum sealer bag you can keep it for up to 6 months in the freezer. Or just put it in a sealable container in fridge for a day or two.
- Thaw dressing in fridge for 24-48 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil a large casserole or 9x13 baking pan, spreading mixture out evenly in pan.
- Cover the casserole and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove cover and continue baking for another 20 to 30 minutes or until cooked thoroughly and dressing is lightly browned and forming a crust around the edges of the casserole.
- Serve hot.
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.