Meals don’t always have to include a protein, especially those last minute throw-togethers because company stopped by. This penne pasta recipe from a guest blogger is perfect for company and quick to make.
It’s day 22 of the Cook Easy Foodie Blogger Challenge and I want to hear what your recipe is that you whip up for unexpected company.
Pasta is typically an Italian cuisine. The popularity of pasta is so widespread that there have been many variations made to the original. Different types of pasta are available and Italians use specific pasta depending on the recipe. Some of the types of pasta are Macaroni, Fusilli, Tagliati, Elicoidale, Shell, Spaghetti and mini pasta especially for soups. The ideal way to cook pasta is to boil it in double the quantity of boiling water and adding salt and olive oil. It should be removed from the water at the stage where it is firm and cooked. Overcooking of pasta would make it soggy, sticky and breakable. Pasta is versatile to be cooked with most of the vegetables to make delicious meals.
Penne Pasta in Yogurt Spinach Sauce
An Italian pasta dish combined with low fat yogurt instead of rich creamy milk. The ingredients are mentioned for a serving size of 3 people.
- 200 grams or 7-8 ounces of Penne Pasta
- 1 cup of pureed spinach
- 1 cup of low fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- Salt to taste
- White pepper powder as per taste
- 1 tablespoon of refined flour or corn flour
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons of processed cheese, grated
- Use a wide mouthed saucepan to boil pasta.
- Boil the pasta in 4-6 cups of water.
- Add some salt and olive oil to the boiling water.
- Once pasta is done, drain it off and rinse in cold water.
- To the saucepan, add the remaining olive oil and sauté the chopped garlic.
- As soon as garlic releases the flavor, add the low fat yogurt. Allow it to simmer on low flame.
- Make a paste of water and the refined flour. Add this to the yogurt once it starts to bubble. The mixture will slowly thicken.
- Now add pureed spinach. You will get a lovely green sauce.
- Check for the seasoning and the desired amount of salt and pepper powder.
- Add dry oregano and spread this sauce over the boiled penne pasta.
- Garnish with grated cheese and fresh sprigs of oregano.
Pasta is made out of durum wheat and is high in fiber. Also wheat being low in Glycemic Index, diabetics can safely consume. Spinach is a good source of Vitamin A and iron and is recommended for children and pregnant women. Being a leafy vegetable, the fiber content is high in spinach also. Garlic in its very nature is anti bacterial and also a weight loss ingredient. The benefits of olive oil are many. Being composed of monounsaturated fatty acids, they are good for the heart by lowering bad cholesterol. Olive oil is also good for the hair and skin. Yogurt is good for the digestive system. The lactus bacillus present in yogurt cleanses the intestines and aids digestion. No doubt, yogurt finds a place in Indian diet on a day to day basis. Cheese is a source of fat and some amount of fat is definitely needed by the body for its functioning. Fats act as lubricating agents in the body and help to maintain a shine in the skin.
Author Bio: Marguerite is a fitness freak and loves to blog on health related articles, also loves to write recipes and healthy facts on the same. You can check out her latest post on How To Lose Belly Fat on her website.
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.