Fishing season is here and I can’t wait until the salmon are running up our local rivers. I’m hoping it’s going to be the big year that it’s predicted to be. I want that smoker to be running non-stop! I better remind hubby we need to look on craigslist for a chest freezer before it’s a necessity.
Because we have a pretty limitless supply of salmon on a good run year, I’m always looking for different ways to prepare it. This year I believe it’s going to be a big Pinks year and we smoke those. Yes, we are absolutely salmon snobs and we’re ok with that. If you live in other areas of the country then you can’t be picky I guess but here in the land of the salmon my house totally is picky. lol We only grill up the best and save the Pinks for the smoker. Way too fatty for grilling.
I’m excited to add this recipe to the list. I’ll admit that I haven’t made it yet and that’s why there’s no picture to go along with it. But I want to post it so I don’t lose it. Plus, if you get smoked salmon from your local deli you can try this right now.
Avocado, smoked salamon, crusty rolls, there isn’t anything in this recipe that isn’t delicious! I can even use my soy sour cream so I’m not missing out on the extra creamy guac sauce.
- 1 medium beefsteak tomato
- 1 small red onion
- 1 avocado
- 2 lemons, one juiced, one cut in wedges
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- ½ lb smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- 4 medium size hard rolls
- Romaine lettuce leaves
- Slice the tomato and the onion into thin circles, set aside.
- Halve the avocado, removing pit and skin, setting half the avocado in a bowl and slice the other half into thin wedges.
- To the avocado in the bowl, add most of the lemon juice (sprinkling the remaining amount over the sliced avocado wedges), sour cream and mayonnaise. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut the rolls in half and lay out on a work surface.
- Spread the avocado-mayo mixture on each cut side of rolls.
- Put the sandwiches together in these layers: lettuce, tomato, onion, smoked salmon, avocado wedges.
- Put top half of roll on and serve immediately or wrap tightly for transport to picnic.
- Include lemon wedges in with each sandwich for garnish and extra lemon juice on avocado slices if desired.
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.