I especially love the idea of making up snack mix. With bulk food sections more common it has gotten much cheaper to custom make a mix the family will all love and to have each family member customize their own. Buy some small snack size ziplock bags or small reusable containers and combine a lot at once.
The Taste of Healthy and Delicious
By Ann Martin
With summer just around the corner, we all know that there will be lots of picnics, barbeques and delicious summer treats. If you are anything like me, when that warmer weather sets in, I find myself just “picking” throughout the day and through my meals. Sometimes when the weather is just plain hot and humid, my appetite goes out the window. Regardless, if your appetite dwindles during the summer months or if you see that scale increasing in that “other” direction, we have to remember to keep our bodies fueled with healthy food choices. Below you will find some healthy and delicious snack and meal ideas to keep you running through and enjoying those hot summer days.
- Fruit and Yogurt Smoothies – These are good anytime of year, but especially when summer produce is in season. Customize your own smoothie, but adding your favorite fruits, some ice and some non-fat yogurt into a blender and whip it up. Try blueberries for that extra special summer taste! Don’t be surprised if your family asks you for a refill.
- Strawberries with Balsamic Vinegar – Even though it may sound like a strange combination, you must try it! You’ll be making this treat at least once a week once you have just one bit. Combine about 1 pound of sliced strawberries, with a ź cup of sugar and couple tablespoons of balsamic vinegar together in a bowl and have it marinade for about an hour. I like to serve my balsamic vinegar strawberries with low-fat whipped topping ! This makes for an excellent and refreshing summer dessert. Find your dessert plates, flatware and get your taste buds ready!
- Trail Mix – This makes for a convenient and portable snack, which can easily be made a home. Combine 1 cup of oat cereal, ˝ ounce of chopped nuts, and cup of dried fruit together and enjoy! Sometimes, I even like to add some seeds, such a sunflower and or pumpkin seeds for a variation.
- Homemade Salsa or Guacamole Served with Whole Grain Pita Chips – This is wonderful to have on hand, especially when a few guests decide to swing by. Making your own salsa is easy and once you make your own, you will never buy jarred salsa again. For a fun alternative to salsa, try making homemade guacamole. There are so many variations for guacamole that it will be easy to find a recipe that will please the entire family.
- Refreshing Pasta Salad – A flavorful and healthy way to change up pasta salad is simply by adding a homemade vinaigrette and some edamame to your choice of pasta. Even if you have some grape tomatoes or some grilled zucchini in the kitchen, those would make for delicious additions to this easy, yet healthy summer pasta salad. This could make for a wonderful summer side dish along side a grilled turkey burger to make for a delicious summer meal.
Get your picnic table ready, your Oneida flatware, and don’t forget the lemonade, and enjoy the freshness and deliciousness of summer!
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.