I’m Irish, so there just aren’t too many stews that I don’t want to gobble up with biscuits. This one is a little different for my Irish blood as there really aren’t a lot of vegetables going on. It’s very quick to toss together and of course, filling, as that is a major requirement for a stew.
- 1 lb. beef stew meat
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes with garlic
- 2 cups kale, cleaned and chopped
- 1 can (15 oz) black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- ½ bunch of fresh kale
- 1 clove fresh garlic
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup flour
- 2 TBSP oil for frying
- Put salt, pepper, and flour in paper bag, add beef and shake to combine.
- Heat oil in cast iron pan over medium heat, then add beef and brown quickly. Remove beef from skillet with slotted spoon to slow cooker.
- In same skillet over low heat add can of diced tomatoes and stir to get browned bits from skillet.
- To slow cooker, add kale, garlic and black-eyed peas then pour diced tomatoe mixture from skillet over all.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours until beef is nice and tender.
Photo credit: mailsparky
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.