I love different ways to use up that leftover turkey. This soup recipe really changes up the flavor so you don’t get tired of the same meat for an entire week. You don’t need to just reheat leftovers and have sandwiches. Repurpose the meat and let your taste buds enjoy.
You can mix it up with this recipe and maybe add some diced green or red peppers to the soup as you are cooking it. Try a can of corn.
Also for the topping you may want to add a dollop of sour cream and crushed tortilla chips. Or even just serve the tortilla chips on the side for some fun dipping while you eat your soup.
- 1½ cups shredded cooked turkey
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced
- ½ teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a large pot over medium heat, combine all ingredients EXCEPT avocado, cilantro and cheese.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in avocado and cilantro, and simmer another 15 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Serve in bowls, and top with shredded cheese.
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.