There’s nothing more Washington than a recipe with our beloved apples AND Walla Walla onions. If you haven’t had Walla Walla onions then you are missing out on possibly the sweetest onion you’ll ever have. It’s juicy and more mellow in flavor. If it’s fresh, it won’t make you cry when you cut into it. My FIL lives in Walla Walla so we always get bags and bring them home. Nothing like getting it fresh from the farm!
I recommend using one red and one green delicious apple in this recipe for the best flavor. That way you have the sweet and a little more tart in the mix.
- 2 Red or Green Delicious apples, washed, cored, sliced into very thin strips
- 1 Walla Walla onion, sliced into very thin strips
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 ounce crumbled Bleu cheese
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Put apple and onion in a large bowl, sprinkle with the lemon juice and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, mayonnaise, and fresh parsley, until smooth.
- Add the creamy mixture to the apple/onion, tossing to coat well, then add the Bleu cheese crumbles and toss gently to combine.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed, then toss gently once more.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving. Toss again gently before serving.
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.