Sweet Canned Apples
Recipe type: Preserving
Serves: 8 pints
- 5¼ C of water
- 2¼ C of sugar
- 12 lbs. tart apples, washed, cored, peeled and cut into even chunks
- Pour the water into a saucepan and place the pan over high heat.
- Stir in the sugar and stirring continuously bring the mixture to a boil.
- Stir and boil until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Keep the syrup just at a boil over medium heat while preparing the apples.
- Prepare the canning jars and two piece lids according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Fill the jars with the apple chunks packing them in firmly.
- Pour the boiling syrup over the apples leaving a ½ inch headspace.
- Wipe the rims of the jars and hand tighten the seals.
- Place the jars in a water-bath canner for 20 minutes from the point of boiling.
- Remove the jars carefully and place away from drafts to cool completely.
- Test the seals and if you find jars that did not seal correctly refrigerate them to use within two weeks.
Makes 8 pints or 4 quarts. To make a lighter syrup reduce the sugar to 1 C and stir 1 C of honey in with the water and sugar.
Serving size: ½ cup Calories: 137 Fat: 0 Saturated fat: 0 Unsaturated fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 36g Fiber: 3g Protein: 0 Cholesterol: 0
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.