My husband really likes kale. I like it, but I need it cooked right and/or mixed with something lol
Kale is really easy to grow and until my daughter decided not to WATER my little garden, my 3 plants were going crazy. I’m going to plant a few more because they grow great in the fall season…or so I’ve heard lol
I know that kale is really healthy so this is why I’m in search of different ways to prepare it. Easy to grow, healthy…yep, it’s going to get worked into the recipes.
Last time I made it, I decided to just treat it like southern greens. Not that I have a southern bone in my body, but I pretended lol It worked and here is an extended version of cooking the kale.
- 5 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 medium red onions, sliced in circles, then in half
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 to 4 lbs fresh kale, stems removed, cut in strips, washed and dried well
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 to 4 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook until soft and just beginning to brown a little; remove from skillet and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the garlic, cooking just until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes; remove the onion-garlic mixture from the pan.
- Turn heat up to medium-high again, add the remaining 3 Tbsp of olive oil and add the kale and cook, stirring frequently, until the kale just wilts.
- Add back in the skillet the cooked onion and garlic, then the salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat again to medium-low and continue cooking, tossing the mixture occasionally, until the kale is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the balsamic vinegar into the mixture just before serving, toss and serve hot as a side dish for grilled, roasted, or barbecued meat, poultry, or fish.
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.