As life becomes busier and the dark evenings draw in, it may well get to the point where you are unable to cook yourself a hearty meal at the end of the day. However this is where our trusty friend the ‘slow cooker’ can step into play. The slow cooker makes wonderful meals that simply cook whilst you are at work.
This recipe is very simple but the combination of flavours makes it truly delicious as they infuse into each other making it a taste sensation. The best thing is this meal cooks itself and only requires a little help at the beginning.
- 500g minced turkey
- 1 tablespoon organic oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves of chopped garlic
- ½ – 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds (crushed)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon plain flour
- 410 g red kidney beans
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 450ml chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 25g dried mango
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oil in frying pan and add minced turkey, onion and fry stirring for 5 minutes. Mix garlic, spices, kidney beans and flour together.
- Let boil and break apart any big pieces of mince, then place in slow cooking pot. Replace lid and cook on low heat for 8-10 hours.
- Stir well then serve
Make 4 servings and is lovely with tortilla wraps
This will make a tasty and simple dish that you will be impressed with. If you are feeling adventurous substitute the mango for a different fruit or maybe vegetables?
Thank you to Anna Smith for her guest post. Anna is happy to offer us some culinary advice and this slow cooker recipe.
Photo courtesy whitneyinchicago
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.