See, I told you I love wasabi. Here is a very unique recipe that will take your ordinary mashed potatoes to the next level. Everyone can do a roasted garlic mash nowadays, but who would have thought of adding that unique hotness of wasabi to the mix.
Surprise your guests with this sidedish and their sure to remember dinner. This recipe is also great for freezing so make up a huge batch and keep some on hand for unexpected company or that night you just need something a little different.
- 1 medium garlic bulb
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 10 to 12 potatoes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 tsp wasabi powder
- a little water to make wasabi paste
- ½ cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- To roast garlic, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Remove the outer papery skin from the garlic bulb and rub the entire garlic bulb with olive oil. Set garlic bulb on baking dish and drizzle any remaining olive oil over the top. Bake in oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until the bulb is fork tender. When tender, remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, scrub or peel potatoes (depending on the condition of the skins), cut in quarters, and put in large pot of cold, salted water. Bring the water to a boil, then turn heat down and simmer slowly until potatoes are soft (about 15 minutes.) Drain very well, then add butter to potatoes and mash well with a potato masher.
- In a small bowl, put wasabi powder and just enough water to make a thick paste.
- Now take the roasted garlic and gently squeeze the soft cloves out of the bulb into the bowl with the wasabi paste. Mash paste and garlic together, then add to mashed potatoes, using potato masher to combine.
- Stir in milk and keep mashing until flavors are combined and potatoes are light and fluffy. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Photo credit: crazytales562
Never worry about what's for dinner again. I've got you covered with the meal plans in the Once a Week Cooking Club. Cook once, eat all week.
Please be aware that some links used are to affiliates. They are almost always to products I use and love.